Hula Hoop Sizing for Beginners
Hula hoop sizing does NOT have to be hard or take a lot of science. If you follow the three simple steps below you will have a great beginner hoop in a matter of days!
This guide is designed to help you to quickly and easily figure out what size hoop you need if you are brand new to hooping and then go and get it!
#1 Get the Facts on How to Size a Hula Hoop
- The hoop when standing vertically on the ground should reach between your hip bone and 3″ above your navel.
- The larger and heavier the hoop, the easier it will be to learn with.*
- Most adults start with a hoop between 38″ – 42″ diameter.
- The diameter of the hoop is the distance from one edge of the hoop straight across to the other edge.
- Most beginner hula hoops are made from Polyethylene plastic, similar to what you might find at a hardware store.
- Most hula hoopers end up having several hoops, one for each style of hooping they learn.
* This is only true to a certain point, we suggest NOT getting one of those 3 pounds or heavier hoops as they are actually bad for your spine and can do harm to you. Sticking with a hoop no bigger than 42″ is also recommended as the larger ones can carry a lot of momentum when moving fast and can also be bad for you.
#2 Use a Visual Hoop Sizing Chart
#3: Choose Your Hoop Design
This is by far the most important part of choosing your new beginner hoop, the colors!
Now that you know what size you hoop you need to get, it's time to pick one out. Our Ultimate Beginner Hula Hoop is 38" in diameter as that has by far been the most ideal size for 90% of the people we have helped to buy hula hoops over the years.
I promise it's a good size and you WILL be able to hoop with it!